Change the pihole dnsmasq nameserver for specific domains
I was sent a link to https://archive.is (aka https://archive.today), but I couldn’t view it, because my home pihole uses the Cloudflare
220.127.116.11 resolver, and archive.is blocks lookups from Cloudflare for *reasons*.
Other resolvers like Google’s 18.104.22.168 aren’t blocked by archive.is, and with dnsmasq you can selectively change which resolver you want to use with a particular domain.
/etc/dnsmasq.d/01-pihole.conf and add:
server=/archive.is/22.214.171.124 server=/archive.ph/126.96.36.199 server=/archive.today/188.8.131.52
to the end of the file (ie. use 184.108.40.206 to resolv queries for archive.is, archive.ph and archive.today), and then restart the
dnsmasq process. With pihole, this is a built-in service so you need to:
sudo service pihole-FTL restart
All links, in order of mention:
- https://archive.today: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archive.today
- pihole: https://pi-hole.net
- 220.127.116.11 resolver: https://18.104.22.168/faq/
- archive.is blocks lookups from Cloudflare for *reasons*: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=19828317
- Google’s 22.214.171.124: https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns